Basal metabolism is the energy that human body uses for daily basic functioning at normal temperatures and for mental health (simply-the energy needed to keep your blood flow evenly distributed, respiratory muscles providing sufficient amount of oxygen for breathing, brain functioning, cellular metabolism, immune function of the body, restoring the skin, nails, etc.). How well your basal metabolism works depends on age, sex, height, body surface area, but mainly on lean body mass (total weight minus fat content in the body). This suggests that muscle mass in the body influences a lot how much energy per day will be burnt.
How can we imagine this even better in practice?
A simple example - imagine that you spend few hours per week doing aerobic activity while. Your fat reserves start burning off if you are performing this aerobic activity for at least 45-60 min. In contrast, when doing some body weight training or interval training you will increase the speed of your basal metabolism. It will burn fat even after returning home from workout, even while watching TV or reading, but also throughout the sleep and the next day when sitting at school or at work! Basal metabolism stays increased after each workout for about 36-48 hours, which means that it is the most ideal for a woman to attend 3 times a week suitable fitness training.
Other benefits of training in the gym for women :
• increasing the basal metabolic rate to achieve a more burning fat stores every day
• firming and shaping parts of the body to achieve healthier, sportier and younger look
• fitness training shapes parts of the body not only the make them look better, but also strengthens the connective tissues such as ligaments, tendons and joints
• can eliminate problems caused by injury, disease and can very well affect pregnant women
• has preventive effect against breast cancer, cardiovascular disease, is affecting lipid metabolism, as well as modifies the blood pressure
• reduces insulin resistance in tissues contributes to prevention of diabetes
• weight training is one of the most effective ways of preventing osteoporosis (bone thinning), which in Europe affects 25 % of women over 50 years old and 75 % of women over 70 years
• Regular physical activity improves mental health, which together with improved appearance through weight training workout helps to strengthen self-confidence and suppress depressive states
• According to research published in The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research regularly empowering women burn for one day on average one hundred calories more than those who do only aerobic activities